Monday, October 18, 2010

Great Grandma Billie's Carrot Cookies



This is a secret family recipe.
Should I hold it hostage and torture you with pictures?
Nawwwww, I will give you the delight of trying these phenomenal cookies.
And you can even tell yourself you can have as many as you want, because you can get your serving of veggies by eating your cookies ;)
SCOREEEEEEE!

I have been home in Idaho for a week on my October layoff. I performed a Raymonda variation with my old school for an evening of dance and had a blast. My mom and I wanted to make my great grandma's carrot cookies to bring to the show. Even cooler we made them "garden to table". The experience of pulling little knobs from the earth and baking with them straight after picking inspired me to have my own sustainable farm when I am older. The idea just keeps growing in my head. I already have some recruits... Everyone can have their own task for the farm. I am in charge of all things crafting and baking. LE DUR! Mom claims she wants to be the "oversee-er" ontop of her hill in her own house surrounded by barbed wire and electric fences so no one can bother her until she wants to be bothered. Go figure. HA HA HA HA! Dad doesn't know yet, but I am putting him in charge of furniture building and all things woodmaking. This includes each of our own cabins... ANYWHO BACK FROM THE RANCH AND TO THE COOKIES! Mom grows the most sweet and delicious carrots and I couldn't imagine how phenomenal these cookies would be with them instead of store bought pieces of pooooooooooooooo.


So we went on a hunt in the garden, and took Sandee-Sue the schnauzer with us. It is her favorite place. She is constantly stealing delicious produce. I mean I don't blame her, it's the best in the world.


Grandma Billie's Carrot Cookies:

* 1 cup mashed cooked carrots
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 cup shortening (or butter if you are totally grossed out like mom and I ;) )
* 2 cups flour
* 3/4 tsp salt
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp vanilla


Mix together cooled carrots, butter or shortening and sugar together. Add an egg and vanilla and stir until combined. Sift dry ingredients together then mix into wet mixture.
Dollop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 18 mins.

Orange Frosting:
2 tbls Fresh orange juice
1/4 cup butter melted
2 cups powdered sugar
grated orange rind

Mix butter, OJ and orange rind together with a fork. Sift in powdered sugar and stir until smooth.

Dollop frosting on warm cookies and let it melt and spread over them.

ENJOY!!!!

Sandee waiting for her carrots



No comments:

Post a Comment