Saturday, June 11, 2011

So close I can taste it.



Wowza How time flies.
It seems like only yesterday that I was dressed in my black leo with tights UNDER my leotard ;) Already it has been 5 seasons with the Houston Ballet. In words and numbers it seems like a long time but in spirit I feel just the same. The ballet world is like a time warp. You feel just as young as you did when you joined the company. It is like time stops in the world of sugar plums and nymphs but in the real world everything is flying by. The only thing reminding me of time is my body. It yells in the form of pain or sickness, "Hey, I'm aging with time" and "I NEED REST" It isn't until warnings like this that I stop and take a second to breath. Sometimes we are forced to stop by certain sicknesses or injuries. It's our bodies way of telling us to slow down. I can tell by my body that it is the end of the season. I've been sick way more often than I should in the past couple months and I cannot wait to give my body a well deserved rest and rejuvenation. This year I am not gallivanting around Europe or anything crazy. I am spending the summer with my family in beautiful Idaho. It is my dad's big "five-o" and I can't wait to spend it golfing, fishing, hiking and being goofy with him! I also can't wait to get my hands dirty in my moms beautiful garden. One thing will be different at home. My dog won't be there. It's one more thing that has flown by me that maybe I didn't take as reality. Something that doesn't seem real because it has never had to be real. I wasn't there, I just was told. Does that make it real? It's hard to believe it until you are there. She was the best dog in the world. I am going to miss her so much. It seems like yesterday that I put that blog up of her eating the carrots out of the garden. We made my great grandma Billy's Carrot Cookies from carrots out of the garden. Sandee's favorite thing in the whole world was a carrot.

Just to get me excited about garden fresh cooking and baking I asked my mom to send me pictures of the crumble she made out of homegrown Rhubarb. We were at central market one day while she was visiting, sampling all their delicious treats. One of them was this great crumble made with Texas blueberries and Texas peaches. It was YUMMMMMY. So when she got home she made it with her very own homegrown Rhubarb and blueberries. Here is how it turned out!



Homegrown Rhubarb


Crumbles are super simple and incredibly versatile. Use whatever fruit is in season and it will ALWAYS turn out delicious. The woman at Central recommends it will a DOUBLE CRUMBLE topping.... DUH!!! Who doesn't love a double crumble?!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment