Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLING AMERICA: Paula Dean

Have you heard?!
Paula Dean has diabetes.
Absolute shocker.

Leave it to this news to inspire me to do a blog post...

I claimed years ago that she would single-handedly send America into a complete state of obesity; with arteries clogged with butter, heavy cream and sugar.
I mean the woman had a freaking statue sculpted out of BUTTER to look like her face.
That's just wrong.

I mean, I don't want to look like a hypocrite or anything. Because I have to admit, I am here blogging about sweets constantly.. but for gods sake I'm not making THIS:



This is the recipe that absolutely sent me over the edge. Ask my mother, I was walking around the house pacing for a couple hours screaming, asking how they can even allow a recipe like that to be aired on television. I mean, that is ASKING.. no not even asking.. PLEADING PRAYING HOPING for a heart attack. Why why WHY would you do something like that to yourself and your body!? I don't understand.
Explanations anyone?!
ANYONE?!
NO?
That's what I thought.
Because there is no explanation.
It's just plainly wrong.
And asking to die.

WOOF!

On that note.
Here is a DELICIOUS and healthy recipe that will warm your soul and do your body right.


Cabbage-Vegetable Soup
from Martha Stewart
  • 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
  • 2 medium carrots, diced small
  • 2 celery stalks, diced small
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and diced small
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 head (1 1/2 pounds) green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves

Directions

  1. Halve leeks lengthwise; rinse thoroughly, pat dry, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, carrots, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add leeks and garlic and cook, stirring, until leeks begin to soften, 2 minutes. Add potato, broth, and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Stir in cabbage and season generously with salt and pepper.
  2. Return soup to a boil, then reduce to a rapid simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.

We served ours with delicious Jalapeno Cornbread. It was divine! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment