Monday, March 1, 2010

LA BAYADERE

We have survived our first weekend of the new production of La Bayadere.
In the ballet world La Bayadere is the ballet of all ballet's for the corps.
There is nothing more beautiful than 24 dancers dressed exactly the same, weaving around the stage doing the same port de bras and movements.
In the first and second act I am a temple dancer and for one show I am one of Gamzatti's sisters, in the third act I am one of the 24 shades.
The first time I did shades was at a summer intensive in Torrington, CT at Nutmeg Conservatory for the Arts. I just remember performing it in their fully windowed studio, and I had the chills while we were doing our 48 arebesques. There is nothing more beautiful than the music and the movements we are doing to it. I will never forget how I felt and how I knew this is what I wanted to do with my life.
When I am onstage performing shades, all negativity is lost. Every grueling rehearsal, negative comment, and rough day doesn't matter. I get the chance to lose myself in a dream that I thought would never come true.


Gamzatti's sisters Costume


Temple Dancer's Costume

This is the beading on our shades tutu's. Gorgeous.



No comments:

Post a Comment