Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blood Orange Bars


I love citrus.
I love Oranges.
I love lemon bars.
But do you know what I love the most?!

BLOOD ORANGE BARS

Why you ask?!
Because they are the bomb dot com.
I mean, I just can't believe something so beautiful can come from the earth.
And I am really glad they (who every they is...) named it something so gruesome.
Blood Orange.
Just picture it, a man walks into the kitchen and finds his wife with what appears to be blood all over her hands and a large butcher knife... "OH MY GOD! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" he exclaims.
"I'VE KILLED AN ORANGE!!!!"


.....

Blood Orange Bars:

Crust
3/4 cups unsalted butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt

Cream butter and sugar, then slowly add flour and salt until combined. Pour mixture into a small pan. Press down with your fingers to flatten into an even layer. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Filling
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup juice 2 small blood oranges, and a large lime
2 Tablespoons zest, half blood orange half lime
2/3 cup flour

Whisk the sugar and eggs until blended, then add juice, zest, and flour. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour filling over the cooled crust. Return to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes, until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Cut into squares and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment