Monday, January 31, 2011

On the Citrus Train...Grapefruit Macarons





Sticking with the citrus theme, I decided to make some Macarons.
I bought both Texas Ruby Red Grapefruits and Florida Red Grapefruits to enjoy this week but decided to turn them into something even more delectable then they are naturally.

Citrus is FAR underused in desserts in my humble opinion... I mean I can't think of anything more delicious than a citrus dessert! I lends itself perfectly. The tartness allows the dessert to not be over sweet and helps to develops deeper flavor profiles.

I turned these lovely grapefruits into:


Grapefruit Macarons filled with Bittersweet Chocolate-grapefruit Ganache and a GRAPEFRUIT CARAMEL BUTTERCREAM.


I got the idea for a Grapefruit Caramel from a blog that did a blood orange caramel. Recipe was from the sweets GENIUS David Lebovitz. He did a cooking class at my VERY OWN CENTRAL MARKET and I MISSED IT.

I cried.

Then made this caramel in his honor.

And ate it by the spoonful.

Kill me now.


Anyways, The macarons taste like heaven. The perfect balance of tart, bitter and sweet.

High five.



The blood-orange caramel recipe is here!
You will die. AMAZING.


For the Macarons:

Followed the "I LOVE MACARONS" recipe with Grapefruit Zest added halfway through your "macaronage"

Then for the Bittersweet Chocolate Grapefruit Ganache (GOD THAT'S A MOUTHFUL!):
1 cup 70% Cocoa
about 1/4 cup milk
grapefruit zest
tablespoon grapefruit juice

Melt Chocolate in double boiler. Add milk and stir to the desired consistency. Stir in remaining ingredients.

For the Grapefruit Caramel Buttercream:

Make the Grapefruit Caramel from the recipe above and set aside to cool.

1 1/2 sticks butter (softened)
about a cup of Powdered Sugar (or to taste)
grapefruit zest
a little less than half of the cooled grapefruit caramel

Beat butter in electric mixer until light. Add zest and slowly drizzle in caramel. Add sugar until it is desired sweetness.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment